Down the line in the String Family is the, slightly large, viola. A bit different than its cousin, the violin, the viola creates deeper sounds, and it plays music written in the alto clef rather than the treble clef — that just shows how unique this instrument is! As a violist, you will develop special skills playing different clefs, something not every musician may be able to say. You also will be able to say you’re a true team player, since violas are typically responsible for playing the harmony in musical numbers. Do you need another reason to start your musical journey with the viola? Two words: Johannes Brahms.
Viola Lesson Highlights
- Proper posture for playing
- Bowing techniques needed to produce different articulations
- Hand placement for influencing pitch, tone, and volume
- Ear and sight-reading techniques for harmonics
- How to tune your viola
- Comprehensive Viola instruction including theory, technique and ear training
- Performance opportunities at our recitals and community events
Grace Music School offers the best Viola lessons in the Melville/Huntington/Northport areas by presenting repertoire and technique with fun and innovative methods. Music lessons are offered for both children and adults. Lessons are tailored to meet the needs of each individual student and include technique, ear training, sight reading, and music theory if desired.